The London Underground is one of the most iconic transport networks in the whole world and is an attraction in itself for visitors to the English capital.
Nestled in the popular district of Paddington in the City of Westminster, Royal Oak station offers a perfect entry point into the area for visitors to this bustling part of London.
Operated by Transport for London, the station is fully accessible to all travellers and is now step-free. It features a number of waiting rooms, help points and payphones to ensure visitors will be supported in their travel plans when visiting the station at all times.
Underground services run daily between the hours of 5 am and midnight, although from September 1st 2015 a number of routes will be operating a 24-hour service.
With the station providing access to hundreds of destinations across the Greater London area, visitors are reminded that fares can be paid for in cash at the station entrance or via a Visitor Oyster Card, but all tickets must be purchased in advance of boarding trains and they must also be presented upon arrival at their final destination.
Individuals planning journeys on the Underground network should therefore visit the Transport for London website prior to their arrival to secure the latest information regarding station opening/closing times and for any line maintenance schemes that could affect their travel plans.
Parking options for visitors to the area
Motorists driving into the Paddington area will find there are a number of parking options available to them, including:
- Arthur Court Car Park (0.2 miles, five minutes’ travel time when walking)
- Parking Professionals (0.3 miles, six minutes)
- Paddington Station Public Car Park (0.5 miles, ten minutes)
- UPark (0.7 miles, 16 minutes)
- Q-Park Queensway (0.6 miles, 12 minutes)
- Lancaster Gate Car Park (0.9 miles, 18 minutes)
Other local Underground connections
Situated in Zone 2 of the London Underground network on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines, other local Tube stations that are available for visitors to the area to make use of include:
- Paddington-Underground (Circle and Hammersmith & City lines)
- Paddington (Bakerloo, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines)
- Bayswater (Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines)
- Notting Hill Gate (Central, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines)
- Warwick Avenue (Bakerloo line)
- Westbourne Park (Circle and Hammersmith & City lines)
- Edgware Road (Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines/Bakerloo line)
- Lancaster Gate (Central line)
Hotel options near Royal Oak station
Anyone planning a visit to the City of Westminster might like to book themselves a room at one of the many fine hotel options in the area, including:
- Grand Royale London Hyde Park, 1-9 Inverness Terrace (0.55 miles)
- Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, 52-56 Inverness Terrace (0.44 miles)
- London Premier Notting Hill, 5-7 Prince’s Square (0.47 miles)
- The Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington, 55 Westbourne Terrace (0.50 miles)
- The Metropolis London Hyde Park, 78-84 Sussex Gardens (0.77 miles)
- Park Grand London Hyde Park, 78-82 Westbourne Terrace (0.44 miles)
- Park Grand London Lancaster Gate, 14-16 Craven Hill (0.52 miles)
- Park Grand London Paddington, 1-2 Queens Gardens (0.45 miles)
Local attractions visitors will not want to miss
Travellers heading to the area are spoilt for choice when it comes to the wide variety of fantastic local attractions that can be found just a short distance from Royal Oak station, with some of the most popular being:
- Kensington Gardens (0.8 miles, 17 minutes’ travel time on foot/Tube)
- Madame Tussaud’s London (1.6 miles, 12 minutes)
- The Science Museum (1.8 miles, 28 minutes)
- The Natural History Museum (1.7 miles, 29 minutes)
- The Sherlock Holmes Museum (1.6 miles, 11 minutes)
- Winter Wonderland (1.5 miles, 31 minutes)
- Victoria and Albert Museum (two miles, 27 minutes)
- Kensington Palace (one mile, 26 minutes)
- The Gate Theatre (one mile, 12 minutes)
- Notting Hill Arts Club (one mile, 14 minutes)
- The Rowley Gallery (1.2 miles, 15 minutes)
- Canal Cafe Theatre (0.3 miles, seven minutes)