The city of London attracts visitors from all over the world by dint of its history, architecture, culture and entertainment. Whilst it’s perfectly possible to arrive in the city with no set intention or itinerary, and just see where whim takes you, there are also festivals of every type being held throughout the year, and whatever your field of interest is, it’s likely that you’ll be able to find at least one which fits with your tastes.
These are just a few of the best festivals being held in London through the summer of 2014:
1. The British Independent Film Festival – a celebration of innovative film making in Britain, this is staged in the glamorous surroundings of the Empire Cinema, Leicester Square, the scene of numerous Hollywood premieres. Attend screenings of cutting edge new works and find out who wins the coveted awards in categories such as Best Film and Director.
2. Field Day – this is an outdoor music festival which is held in Victoria Park, Tower Hamlets on June 7th. It mixes an eclectic line up of musical acts and boasts a distinctive village fete ambiance.
3. The Taste of London – a celebration of cooking, restaurants and general food culture which is held in Regents Park from 18-22 June. Tickets allow guests to stay for four hours, sampling food from some of London’s top restaurants and suppliers, watching cooking displays from famous chefs and taking part in hands on master classes.
4. Crystal Palace Overground Festival – takes place between 26-29 June at Westow Park & The Triangle, and features an eclectic mix of live music, sports, DJ sets, food and an antique, craft and second hand fair.
5. Greenwich and Docklands International Festival – a free festival taking place between 20-28 June, which allows visitors to sample and enjoy some of the world’s best outdoor performing arts, ranging from dance and theatre to street arts.
6. TW12 Jazz Festival – now in its second year, the TW12 Jazz Festival takes place at the Hampton Hill Playhouse. It features a blend of the very best international performers, local artistes and a student band.
7. The Great British Beer Festival – this is held at the Olympia exhibition centre from 12th to the 16th August. Join the 55,000 other guests to sample music, entertainment and, above all else, some of the 900 real ales, ciders, craft beers and perries on offer.
8. Lake Lollibop – this is a festival especially for children under the age of 10. It takes place at Hatfield House and features hundreds of interactive play events and displays.
9. Standon Calling Festival – held at Standon Farm in Hertfordshire, this festival is stretched from 1st to 3rd of August and is a mixture of live music, DJ sets and distinctive touches such as an outdoor swimming pool, a dog show and a carnival.
10. Polo in the Park – one of the quintessential events of the British Summer, this is three days of Polo matches taking place between the 6th and 8th of June. Other attractions include bars serving food and drink and a luxury shopping village.